Friday, March 26, 2010

CRASH!

Well this post is kind of from the past but if nothing else will jog my memory one day as I look back over my blog. Last weekend I had my first major bike wreck. Now I do have to take some responsibility for it in that I went down on my bike the weekend before in an attempt to climb a large hill at tri-camp in a bigger gear the second time up....and made a gear change at a bad time and dropped my chain....therefore landing myself on the pavement...but hey lesson learned. Well, not such an easy lesson. That lesson would cost me a much bigger challenge the following week. After tri-camp I hauled my bike into the shop complaining of derailler issues. The bike was adjusted and fixed. The following day I was riding my bike on the trainer and just felt the bike was still "off"....hauled it back into the shop and complained of it still not riding right. The bike techs kind of humored me checked it over gave it a little adjustment and sent me on my way. Well, Saturday I rode the hills of San Antonio. My bike was riding awkward at first and caused a minor fall. One of my riding buddies adjusted the derailler again...and we started off. Well, my bike was jumping and skipping gears all over the place...making me a little uneasy. My thought was, "well we are almost done so just gut it out" Forty six miles into a 60 mile ride my derailler snapped off and landed in my gears....placing me smack head down onto the pavement. It was ugly!! The good news is that other than being really banged up I had no major injuries...the bad news is my bike needed a new derailler, chain, hanger etc. Needless to say the ride was over. We caught a ride back into town and decided to go ahead and run 5 miles so that the day wasn't a total waste. Well, my bike is back and I am heading out for a 60 mile ride on the flats tomorrow...hopefully my bike and I can start fresh and have a more positive relationship tomorrow. The bike shop did admit that they missed the stress fracture in my derailler the first time. I think they may take me a bit more seriously now!! I may not always have the technical words for what is up but I do ride about 150 miles a week...I know when my bike is not right! I am certainly tired of eating the pavement so hopefully I am done with that. Well, until next time...

No comments: