Thursday, July 28, 2011

Faith Story

Every year after completing two years of confirmation classes, the boys and girls stand up in front of church, answer questions, recite bible passages, and read their "faith story" to the congregation. Well, this was my first journey down this road as a mother. Every day in our home we are constantly working on choices, tone of voice, respect, "do as Jesus would do attitudes", living our lives as a Light for Christ. So one might say that this day is like standing on top of one of the smaller mountains of life....meaning that life is a road traveled and there are peaks and valleys. Although this is not the ultimate peak (that being heaven) this I would consider a precipice on which to rest for a moment and look back on the younger formative years and what has been learned and instilled on the road and journey thus far. That being said Devin has written his faith story which is a glimpse of his heart, an unfolding of character, and a look at where he hopes his road leads in his mind in the future. I hope you enjoy it as I did:

Devin's Faith Story

My name is Devin Radford. I was born on August 1st, the year 1996. 10 days following, I was baptized very near where I stand right now......that date has been and will be the most important in my life because that was the day that Jesus took me into his arms and welcomed me as a sanctified member of His family.
Ever since that day nearly 15 years ago, my faith has been allowed to grow through the efforts of my family. They've taken me to church almost every week, urged me to study and marvel at the works of the Bible, as well as to thank the Lord for both the roses AND the thorns of this life. I lean on them for support and encouragement when the world seems too much for me alone to handle. I'm truly blessed to have such amazing people around me.
Then came the day of my first confirmation class. I have to admit I was a little disconcerted about going to study under the big man that preached so strongly every week. As I came to know him better, Pastor ceased to be the big loud guy and became the caring man that we all know and trust. He's given me a much deeper insight about what it means to follow the Bible and to be a better Christian in this world. That's a gift without price since what I learned here will be a part of me forever.
Confirmation is special for me because it symbolizes my joining the congregation and becoming a true member of the church body. My confirmation verse is Proverbs 2:1,9. "My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, {...} then you will understand what is right and just and fair--every good path." I chose this verse because it has elements of both the Law and the Gospel. In short, it reminds me to focus on the Bible, while assuring me that of the many tempting paths life offers, it will lead me down the right one.
In the future, I plan to continue praising the Lord on the organ, to earn the Eagle scout rank, and to reach my earthly goal of becoming a doctor. But ultimately I'll strive to walk beside Jesus for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Peace Lutheran Church said...

Outstanding Devin. I am very proud of you and your focus on your goals and your faith in Christ.
Your life will continue to be roses and thorns. It will always pass. May your faith allow you to deal with the thorns, and accept the roses with grace.

Love, Uncle Bill.