Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tri-camp

I decided to post on this topic because many of you have called to inquire "how it went?" I am sorry to not have answered some so I thought this might be a more effective way to do so. In answer, it was exhilirating, hard and overall a true to heart gut check! To sum it up, we ran track in the wee hours of the morning, continued on to bike in the hills and up Sugarloaf mountain, muscled out a weightlifting session, swam what seemed like a million laps and then worked on mental toughness. We did eat and then went to bed to rise for a simulated duathlon the next morning. I will say...the duathlon (22 mile bike...6 mile run all in hills) was where my personal gut check occurred. The first 15 miles of bike and four miles of run went great...then I hit a very big wall...muscled out the last seven of bike and went into transition thinking....I truly do not know if I can run the last two miles of hills. But I did...one step at a time! The funny thing is...as I watch my children play tennis matches on the weekend and get into 2-3 hour battles with opponents, I always tell them they can do it, to focus, one point at a time....needless to say..that is what pulled me up those hills (not wanting to be a hypocrite) but I was not loving my own words of inspiration. So I learned from that weekend that I have alot of work to do over the coming months before I compete in the 1/2 ironman (not only physically but mentally) BUT ....at the end of the day I am glad I finished everything that weekend...quitting just never feels good when you assess at the end of the day! Until next time!

No comments: