Sunday, November 9, 2008

Scouting fun this weekend

This past weekend Devin and I went on our first boyscout campout. It consisted of camping and canoeing. We had a great time and yet I just watched in amazement as the realization of how big he is scares me yet makes me so proud of him!! I let Devin take charge of his experience. He put up the tent and prepared our site by himself. We then went on a 10 mile canoe trip. I generally like to be in control but I relinquished that to him and let him sit in the steering position of the canoe. Needless to say it took him about 1/4 of a mile to understand steering and then he was amazing. I don't think we visited one river bank after that (although the last mile we saw a couple because he sent me into the trees on purpose for a laugh) (He never went into the trees...I made the mistake of screaming one time and he decided it was hilarious to hear me scream) Devin earned his caoeing merit badge. He had to be tested alone on the strokes as well as submerging the canoe and turning it back over with no water in it. This was not a gimme..they do not hand it out unless you prove yourself. Needless to say he did phenomenal...never even complained about the 70 degree water he had to get into to flip the canoe. It was a great weekend with Devin. I don't get much time alone with him. I was so proud of him with the boys and with his willingness to serve others!! Just made me want to cry!!!! (But I didn't) Anyway....have a great week....until next time!!!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Isn't it amazing to see the fruit of your labor in action. I'm glad you had a nice time with Devon.
As a side note, while cleaning house yesterday, I enjoyed your playlist...it truly reflects, "Happy person." I (we, actually) enjoyed it. Thanks for the great picks.